- Crystals at T=0 have an equilibrium shape that can be calculated by the WULFF CONSTRUCTION.
- The T=0 shape has sharp edges and flat facets.
- At left, the evolution of a Helium crystal on heating is shown.
The images are from the laboratory of S.G. Lipson at the Technion and were collated by JA and published in Hashibon et.al PRB, 1998.
- Each image is in a cryostat, the crystal is at lower left and the ``eyes''
are an optical illusion.
- Edges become round and facets become rough.
- All crystals exhibit such behaviour, but due to equilibration times in metals it is hard to observe.